Best use of the Apteco Marketing Suite 2017 Award
Greggs have revolutionised their marketing and business analytical capabilities with the introduction of the Apteco Marketing Suite.
With over 1,800 shops, nine centres of excellence and 20,000 employees who serve millions of customers each week, Greggs is the UK's leading bakery food-on-the-go retailer.
Over the years Greggs has developed a network of shops across the UK and are constantly looking for ways to make their offering better to their loyal customer base. Greggs remains committed to doing the right thing and supporting the communities in which it operates. With ambitions to grow to over 2,000 shops nationwide and ownership of their supply chain, Greggs are in a unique position to make good, freshly prepared food accessible to everyone, ensuring that ‘Everyday tastes good’ at Greggs.
Greggs license the Apteco Marketing Suite via their chosen Apteco approved partner – Data HQ.
After several months of due diligence Greggs identified that the Apteco Marketing Suite was the software solution they needed to help resolve their data insight challenges. Using Apteco's practical directory tools they were able to find their perfect partner. Greggs approached Data HQ with a specific requirement - they wanted an Apteco Marketing Suite expert who could help them get closer to their customers.
Without doubt, through implementing the full suite of Apteco marketing tools, Greggs have achieved their objective of getting closer to their rewards customers, revolutionising Gregg's marketing activity.
Millions of customers pass through Greggs stores each week and the key source of customer data was captured via the Greggs Rewards Program – a handy mobile phone app which is used in store with every transaction. With data sources in numerous locations, Greggs were looking for a single customer view (SCV) database that allowed complete visibility of their Rewards customers. The business understood if they overcome this challenge they would open up the potential for a whole new raft of business and customer insights which, in turn, would drive new operational, product development and marketing opportunities. Another key business requirement was to use the Greggs Rewards App to launch a new ‘real-time’ customer satisfaction program and CRM program.
Greggs worked with two key organisations that helped capture and process the data. This included the App Developer and the SaaS Technology Company together with Greggs in-house IT team who were also involved in the process.
Solution: revolutionising Greggs marketing abilities
Given Greggs’ objectives and requirements, Data HQ proposed a solution that utilised all the key tools within the Apteco Marketing Suite including Apteco FastStats, Apteco PeopleStage and FastStats Geo.
The fundamental deliverable underpinning this project was the development of a live Single Customer View (SCV) that had the capacity to incorporate hundreds of thousands of customer and transactional files per hour into a single database. Near real time, customer data, updated within minutes of a transaction being made in store would allow Greggs instant access to their customer data.
Providing the SCV to analysts and marketeers at Greggs through the powerful and intuitive front end delivered by Apteco FastStats, has, for the first time, allowed the team to gain a true understanding of their customers behaviours and motivations.
Following the successful implementation of Apteco FastStats, Data HQ identified an opportunity to use Apteco PeopleStage to target customers at the right time for Customer Satisfaction questionnaires.
Greggs have since implemented a full multi-channel CRM program to support the loyalty app, including emails and push notifications aimed at encouraging registration, first use of the app, notification of rewards, etc.
- Over 1 million communications using Apteco PeopleStage, made up of mostly push messages and emails.
- Approximately 10k to 50k communications per day depending on new sign ups and expiring rewards.
Results: improvements to Greggs customer experience and commercial success
The impact of the Apteco Marketing Suite for Greggs is the complete transparency around the customer journey. The new solution tracks the value of the Greggs customer and how this evolves over time; how these changes correlate to business initiatives / marketing activity or external factors such as competitor activity / economy etc. What this change looks like in terms of customer activity; have they changed basket size, frequency of visit, daypart visit – have they moved through categories etc.
Greggs can now report on the following:
- Category Planning: Apteco Faststats data provides a view of whether product category growth is from multiple customers or whether it is an increase in frequency of purchase from the same customers, which helps to identify opportunities for growth.
- Product Development: Greggs use Apteco FastStats to understand what typology is buying which products, so they know what to protect, what to grow and where there are gaps in the range. The business is now able to look at product affinity and to understand product dependency.
- Switching: Historically Greggs used insights to report on product switching. When there was growth in one area and decline in another it was assumed that customers were switching products. Apteco Faststats enabled Greggs to test these theories.
- Customer Satisfaction: In the past, Greggs relied on the costly (and rather lengthy) process of ‘mystery shopping’ to monitor customer satisfaction. With the new solution and the implementation of Apteco PeopleStage the business has instant access to customer feedback without the need for human intervention. Within 30 minutes of purchase customers are sent a simple survey via their mobile app to request feedback. Customers are targeted every 7th purchase and no more than once every 6 weeks. Since launch in June 2017, there have been nearly 100,000 C-sat questionnaires sent out via Apteco PeopleStage and Greggs have received 11,206 fully completed responses – 12% response rate.
- Incentivised Promotions: For the first time, a product incentivised promotion has been run through Apteco PeopleStage. Live data was used to allocate a unique promotion code when a customer made a purchase of Lucozade and an email was triggered to the customer in near real time, negating the need of a painful customer redemption process. This ran between 29/06/2017 and 29/08/2017 resulting in almost double the amount of Lucozade purchases based on the previous 2 months.
FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS: What Next?
The current solution is having a dramatic effect enhancing all aspects of Greggs marketing activity and business reporting however, there are future plans to continue the success:
- Further development of segmentation
- Development of CRM program
- Personalised product recommendations in multi-channel communications
- Preference Centre – GDPR compliance
- Graphic Information System for Store Planning and modelled potential reporting – using Apteco FastStats in a completely innovative way